8 Important Interview Questions To Ask A Design-Build Firm
When it comes to hiring a design-build firm in South Carolina, there are many decisions to consider. Even if you thought your home was great when you first moved in, it’s not uncommon for many homeowners over the years to have something they want to update or modify to make their home picture perfect— there’s always room for improvement.
There are many ways to make your home even more comfortable and appealing than it already is.
South Carolina homes are typically known for their charm, and they don’t get that way on their own. Whether you need major renovations or minor ones it can be difficult to know just where to start.
South Carolina homeowners have relied on design-build firms like the experienced team at Kamanski Home Builders for over 30 years to bring their remodeling dreams to life. Don’t trust your home remodel to just anyone. Before you make the big decision of hiring a design build firm, ask these 8 interview questions to get the ball rolling.
1. If Hired, What Will the Process Look Like from Start to Finish?
Decide on the Scope
- A common question that comes up for homeowners is how to hire a design-build firm? One often overlooked first step when it comes to the remodeling process is to consider the overall scope of the project. As renovations pick up momentum you may decide to add more which can lead to over-spending.
- Working backwards might feel odd, but try to envision what you’d like the final result to look like. Make a detailed list of changes, then create two sections: ‘needs and wants’, think about what you actually need to make your home feel welcoming and cozy and what you might like, but isn’t absolutely necessary.
- Be sure to list every component large and small for budgeting and keep that in your back pocket during the renovation— it’ll come in handy.
Choose a Style
- Remodeling your home is a great way to add to your home’s existing style or choose a new one. A cohesive design aesthetic includes more than sofas and throw pillows, tile, plumbing fixtures and countertops. Finishes are a great way to add charm to your home.
Sketch a Floor Plan
- If you are planning to change the layout for the kitchen or bathroom, sketching a floor plan could be a good step to consider, it doesn’t have to be a work of art. Getting the idea out on paper is ideal for troubleshooting— it also helps us to get a better sense of exactly what you want.
Schedule Your Home Remodeling at a Convenient Time
- Once you’ve secured a plan and decided if it’s feasible to stay in your home or not, you’re ready for the next step, which is to schedule the best time for your remodel.
2. Do You Foresee Any Obstacles During the Course of the Project?
Although obstacles are inevitable and may come up any time during the remodeling process,a rigorous process should be adhered to from start to finish to establish a clear and consistent communication process.
Before the project commences, it’s important to prepare the space and the level of preparation depends on how extensive the remodel is.
A few things to consider:
- Remove all furniture and items from the rooms being remodeled.
- Roll up rugs and cover carpets with plastic sheets to protect them from dirty shoes in high traffic areas
- Secure an area for pets to keep them safe from potential airborne contaminents
- Remember to make sure the work crew has access to circuit boxes and water valves
- Don’t forget to designate a place for service vehicles to park
3. Do You Have Any References? (Are References Important?)
Checking references and asking home builder interview questions is a fundamental step in the home remodeling process. There’s so much more involved outside of creating a beautiful space; selecting a remodeler is a big decision; it’s important to do your homework initially to save time, money and frustration. Check out online ratings and reviews from sites like HOUZZ.com, Better Business Bureau, or Guild Quality.
4. What is the firm’s history when it comes to keeping projects on schedule and on a budget?
At Kamanski we follow a very detailed remodeling process centered around you and your lifestyle. We want to hear every idea and look at every sketch to ensure a unique and agreed upon cohesive vision.
5. May I see a portfolio of past projects that are similar to the one I’m interested in doing?
Absolutely, if you’re looking for some inspiration for your next remodel, here are a few favorites from our portfolio. Let us know if you see anything that you like!
6. Is the firm licensed, insured, and well-versed in obtaining correct permits?
The short answer is yes, take a look at what our customers have to say about our work. We have an A + rating with the Better Business Bureau and we are proud members of HBA and NARI, we were also proud to receive the 2017 Super Service Award from Angie’s List recognizing our quality craftsmanship and intergrity of work.
7. How does the firm handle communication? Will there be a “point person” assigned to my project?
We pride ourselves on thorough communication. Remodeling projects have a lot of moving parts, contractors work on everything at the same time which requires expert communication across the board.
Prioritizing efficient communication is crucial to getting the job done on time and to your specifcations. We develop a reasonable timeline and budget so both parties are clear about expectations and timelines.
No matter the size of the project we’re committed to keeping you in the loop so you never feel left in the dark about your investment.
8. Can you explain your existing relationships with materials providers and specialty vendors?
At Kamanski, teamwork and collaboration are important, we value our relationships with providers and vendors to ensure expert quality every time; one way we do this is by working with long-time, trusted contractors.
We believe in using quality materials for lasting results, in addition to helping you pick out state-of-the-art appliances and fixtures tailored to fit your newly remodeled home.
Ready for a Home Remodel? Let’s Get Started!
At Kamanski Construction, we have over 30 years of experience.
We believe in quality work done right and making sure the process goes as smoothly as possible— let our highly skilled team of designers and contractors help you customize your newly remodeled home today, it’s just one click away.